by Jack Singer, Ph.D.
Licensed Sport/Clinical Psychologist
[contentbox width=”500″ borderwidth=”1″ borderstyle=”dashed” bordercolor=”000000″ dropshadow=”0″ backgroundcolor=”F5F5F5″ radius=”0″]This is the second of a series of cutting edge tips from the field of Sport Psychology to help you reach peak performance, both as an individual athlete and as a team. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Dr. Jack at 1-800-497-9880 or email him on the contact page.[/contentbox]
Coaches frequently complain that practices are not consistently productive and research shows that the more practices simulate game conditions, the better athletes and teams perform during games. Therefore, having consistently productive practices is crucial to team success.
- Is the practice schedule for the day displayed on the team bulletin board?
- Do the players arrive on time for practice?
- Does the coach have a file of previous practices?
- Does the coach have a written practice plan?
- Does the coach refer back to past practice plans?
- Do the plans list specific time limits for each activity?
- Does the coach have specific duties planned for each activity?
- Do the players know what is expected of them in each practice?
- Does each member of the coaching staff have clearly defined responsibilities?
- Does the coach have different plans for the separate parts of the season?
- Do the players gain or lose stamina and endurance during practice?
- Do the players run drills directly related to anticipated game situations?
- Can the players raise their intensity levels during practice to the levels they will need in the game?
Structure and organization during practices are key ingredients for success during game time.
Check out Dr. Jack’s Instant Sports Success ebook series, How to Maintain Peak Performance & The Winner’s Mental Edge.
About the Author:
Dr. Jack Singer is a professional speaker, trainer and psychologist. He has been speaking for and training Fortune 1000 companies, associations, CEO’s and elite athletes for 34 years. Among the association conventions which Dr. Jack has keynoted are those which serve financial planners.
Dr. Jack is a frequent guest on CNN, MSNBC, FOX SPORTS and countless radio talk shows across the U.S. and Canada. He is the author of “The Teacher’s Ultimate Stress Mastery Guide,” and several series of hypnotic audio programs, some specifically for athletes and some for anyone wanting to raise their self-confidence and esteem. To learn more about Dr. Singer’s speaking and consulting services, please visit DrJackSinger.com and FunSpeaker.com or call him in the U.S. at (800) 497-9880.